EMDR is a specialised therapy that requires supervised training for therapeutic effectiveness and client safety. Clinical knowledge and work experience are necessary for proper application of EMDR Therapy.
Thus, we require that trainees have:
A) 4-year Basic Degree (psychology, counselling, social work) OR 2-year Master’s Degree (psychiatry, psychology, counselling, psychotherapy, or social work); AND
B) 2 year post-degree supervised clinical work experience; AND
C) Candidates are to be currently in clinical practice to complete their consultation requirements.
*Supporting Documents to be submitted with registration:
- Transcript of Basic Degree and/or Master’s Degree
- Signed statement from clinical supervisor stating post-degree supervision for clinical cases at work setting
- Letter of current employment stating work responsibilities
Some existing knowledge on trauma and its impact, as well as emotion/state-regulation skills will also ease integration of EMDR into a trainee’s clinical setting immediately following training.
For Trainees not residing in Singapore:
Applicants from outside of Singapore must check with their own country’s EMDR Association whether:
1) They are eligible to be trained in EMDR (e.g. some countries require trainees to be a licensed mental health practitioner);
2) The EMDR Basic Training is recognised in their country.
You should only apply if you and the training meet your country’s eligibility criteria.
NB: These requirements are subject for review in response to changing needs on a national level, as well as taking into account regional and global circumstances.